Series Vol. 6 , 03 August 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Lung cancer has become one of the most widely infected cancers around the world and is getting more attention from scientists and the public. Thus, based on the dataset Lung Cancer uploaded on Kaggle in 2022, this paper reviews previous research on risk factors about their effects and mechanisms on lung cancer. Besides, by transforming categorical variables into numerical ones and using chi-square tests of independence, this paper examines whether independent variables in the dataset are associated with lung cancer development. This paper finds that variables ‘gender’, ‘smoking’, ‘chronic disease’ and ‘shortness of breath’ are not tested associated with lung cancer development; variable ‘yellow finger’ and the other nine independent variables are tested as factors contributing to lung cancer. Identifying these risk factors and analyzing their mechanisms can effectively help people prevent lung cancer and support the development of lung cancer treatment.
lung cancer, risk factors, chi-square tests
1. American thoracic society. Lung Cancer - (n.d.). Retrieved January 30, 2023, from https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/lung-cancer-intro.pdf
2. Outdoor Air Pollution and cancer: An overview of the current evidence. Retrieved January 30, 2023, from https://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.3322/caac.21632
3. Smoking as a risk factor for lung cancer in women and men. Retrieved January 30, 2023, from https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/8/10/e021611.full.pdf
4. American Cancer Society. Study: Young women now have higher rates for lung cancer than men worldwide. (2020, February 14). Retrieved January 31, 2023. from https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/study-young-women-now-have-higher-rate-for-lung-cancer-than-men-worldwide.html
5. What is lung cancer? Types of Lung Cancer. Retrieved January 31, 2023, from https://www.cancer.org/cancer/lung-cancer/about/what-is.html
6. Juan Sentana. Tests for independence between categorical variables. Economics Letters,Volume 220,2022,110850,ISSN 0165-1765.
7. Why Men get cancer more than Women and How they can manage their risk - City of Hope(2022 February 9). Retrieved February 21, 2023, from https://www.cancercenter.com/community/blog/2022/02/men-and-cancer-risk
8. Lawrence A. Loeb, Virginia L. Emster, Kenneth E. Warner, John Abbotts, John Laszlo. Smoking and Lung Cancer: An Overview. Cancer Research 44,5940-5958, December 1984.
9. Zhenghong Yu. Factors contributing to decrease in human immunity. Open books for good (Seeking medical advice),2011(12):40.
10. MedicineNet. Can a Weak Immune System Cause Cancer? 11/29/2021. From: https://www.medicinenet.com/can_a_weak_immune_system_cause_cancer/article.html
11. Poller WC, Downey J, Mooslechner AA; et al. Brain motor and fear circuits regulate leukocytes during acute stress [published online ahead of print, 2022 May 30]. Nature. 2022;10.1038/s41586-022-04890-z. doi:10.1038/s41586-022-04890-z
12. Park HY, Kang D, Shin SH, Yoo KH, Rhee CK, Suh GY, Kim H, Shim YM, Guallar E, Cho J, Kwon OJ. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer incidence in never smokers: a cohort study. Thorax. 2020 Jun;75(6):506-509.
13. Engels EA, Shen M, Chapman RS; et al. Tuberculosis and subsequent risk of lung cancer in Xuanwei, China. Int J Cancer 2009;124: 1183-11837.
14. Laney AS, Weissman DN. The classic pneumoconioses: new epidemiological and laboratory observations. Clin Chest Med 2012;33:745-58
15. Lung Cancer Symptoms: Coughing, Wheezing, and More - healthline(2021 September 6). Retrieved February 21, 2023, from https://www.healthline.com/health/lung-cancer-symptoms
16. How Alcohol Affects Lung Cancer Risk and Outcomes -- verywellhealth(2022 November 28). Retrieved February 21, 2023 from https://www.verywellhealth.com/alcohol-and-lung-cancer-risk-2248986
17. Lung Cancer -- Symptoms and causes -- Mayo Clinic(n.d). Retrieved February 21, 2023 from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lung-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20374620.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.