Series Vol. 6 , 03 August 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Type 2 diabetes is a very common type in diabetes, which is also called noninsulin-dependent diabetes. This paper focuses on the correlation between type 2 diabetes (T2D) and aging from the perspective of oxidative stress (OS), including the pathway that T2D produces oxidative stress and the effect that oxidative stress imposes on T2D. This paper also mentioned some specific mechanisms, like a glycolytic pathway, enhanced formation of advanced glycation end products (AGE), activation of protein kinase C (PKC), and deactivation of the insulin signaling pathway. In addition, this paper also talks about the important influence of OS in the process of aging. And, the attention was focused on the excessive ROS produced by mitochondria. On this basis, this paper sorts out the correlation between aging and T2D in OS and finds some experimental evidence, through which this paper also offers some enlightenment from the way of anti-aging to anti-diabetes.
type 2 diabetes, aging, oxidative stress (OS), metformin
1. Halim, M., Halim, A., The effects of inflammation, aging and oxidative stress on the pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus (type 2 diabetes). Diabetes & metabolic syndrome, (13): 1165-1172 (2019).
2. Al-Sofiani, M. E., Ganji, S. S., Kalyani, R. R., Body composition changes in diabetes and aging. Journal of diabetes and its complications, (33): 451-459 (2019).
3. Launer, L. J., Diabetes and brain aging: epidemiologic evidence. Current Diabetes Reports, (5): 59–63 (2005).
4. Dhaliwal, R., Rosen, C. J., Type 2 Diabetes and Aging: A Not so Sweet Scenario for Bone. Hormone and metabolic research = Hormon- und Stoffwechselforschung = Hormones et metabolisme, (48): 771-778 (2016).
5. Bigagli, E., Lodovici, M., Circulating Oxidative Stress Biomarkers in Clinical Studies on Type 2 Diabetes and Its Complications. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, pp.5953685 (2019).
6. Darenskaya, M. A., Kolesnikova, L. I., Kolesnikov, S. I., Oxidative Stress: Pathogenetic Role in Diabetes Mellitus and Its Complications and Therapeutic Approaches to Correction. Bulletin of experimental biology and medicine, pp.171, 179-189 (2021).
7. Giacco, F., Brownlee, M., Oxidative stress and diabetic complications. Circulation research, (107): 1058-1070 (2010).
8. Saeedi Borujeni, M. J., Esfandiary, E., Baradaran, A., Valiani, A., et al., Molecular aspects of pancreatic β-cell dysfunction: Oxidative stress, microRNA, and long noncoding RNA. Journal of cellular physiology, (234): 8411-8425 (2019).
9. Asmat, U., Abad, K., Ismail, K., Diabetes mellitus and oxidative stress-A concise review. Saudi pharmaceutical journal [J] SPJ: the official publication of the Saudi Pharmaceutical Society, (24): 547-553 (2016).
10. Bonomini, F., Rodella, L. F., Rezzani, R., Metabolic syndrome, aging and involvement of oxidative stress. Aging and disease, (6): 109-120 (2015).
11. Barja, G., The mitochondrial free radical theory of aging. Progress in molecular biology and translational science, (127): 1-27 (2014).
12. Poljsak, B., Šuput, D., Milisav, I., Achieving the balance between ROS and antioxidants: when to use the synthetic antioxidants. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, pp.956792 (2013).
13. Park, S. W., Goodpaster, B. H., Lee, J. S., Kuller, L. H., et al., Excessive loss of skeletal muscle mass in older adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care, (32): 1993-1997 (2009).
14. Refaie, M. R., Sayed-Ahmed, N. A., Bakr, A. M., Abdel Aziz, M. Y., et al., Aging is an Inevitable Risk Factor for Insulin Resistance. Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences, (1): 30-41 (2006).
15. Sanz-Cánovas, J., López-Sampalo, A., Cobos-Palacios, L., Ricci, M., et al., Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Elderly Patients with Frailty and/or Sarcopenia. International journal of environmental research and public health, (2022).
16. Nieto-Martinez, R., et al. Chapter 18 - Diabetes Mellitus as a Risk Factor for Aging. Endocrinology of Aging. E. Corpas, Elsevier, (1): 577-606 (2021).
17. Panahi, Y., Khalili, N., Sahebi, E., Namazi, S., et al., Antioxidant effects of curcuminoids in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trial. Inflammopharmacology, (25): 25-31(2017).
18. Chen, S., Gan, D., Lin, S., Zhong, Y., et al., Metformin in aging and aging-related diseases: clinical applications and relevant mechanisms. Theranostics, (12): 2722-2740 (2022).
19. Mohammed, I., Hollenberg, M. D., Ding, H., Triggle, C. R., A Critical Review of the Evidence That Metformin Is a Putative Anti-Aging Drug That Enhances Healthspan and Extends Lifespan. Frontiers in endocrinology, (12): 718942 (2021).
20. Bonomini, F., Rodella, L. F., Rezzani, R., Metabolic syndrome, aging and involvement of oxidative stress. Aging and disease, 6, 109-120 (2015).
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.