Series Vol. 5 , 25 May 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Since winglet be added on the motorcycle in 2016 first, the extreme speed of the motorcycle competition improve a lot. The engineers of motorcades not only focus on the efficiency of the engine, but also put some of their attention on the design of the aerodynamic kits. This paper is focus on the shape of the racing track to see how it effect the choosing of winglet. Since different surface area of winglet may have some effect on the force provided on the motorcycle. This paper finds that for the racing track which has more strait roads, the motorcycle should reduce the drag force, so that the winglet should has less surface area, vice versa. The research significance is to help motorcades to choose suitable aerodynamic rate and give some suggestion to the rider who want to add winglet on their own motorcycle.
motorcycle, winglet, CFD (computational fluid dynamic), Moto GP (grand prix motorcycle racing)
1. Aerodynamics. Aerodynamics-New World Encyclopedia, New World Encyclopedia, www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Aerodynamics.
2. Joseph Katz. Aerodynamic Drag and Downforce of a Competition Motorcycle. SAE International, March 2022. https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0892.
3. Holger Babinsky How do wings work? Physics Education S0031-9120(03)68660-0, www.iop.org/journals/physed
4. M.I.N, Ma’arof and Nurfarah, A.Z. Kamarudin and Girma, etc. Anti-Lift Assessment of Multi-Flap Motorcycle Winglet for Track Usage Via Wind Tunnel Test. International Journal of Emerging technology and Advanced Engineering (IJETAE), 2022:12(4), pp. 39-44. ISSN 2250-2459. http://eprints.initimal.edu.my/id/eprint/1606.
5. Shahzad, A. Airfoil Introduction, Air flow Over Airfoil, Properties of Airfoil. Available at: https://www.mechanical360.net/thermodynamics/airfoil-introduction-air-flow-over-airfoil-properties-of-airfoil/, accessed on 10 December 2019.
6. Van Dijck, T. Computational Evaluation of Aerodynamic Forces on a Racing Motorcycle During High Speed Cornering (no. 01-0097). SAE Technical Paper, 2015.
7. Mohd Amir Shazwan, Hashim and Baveendra Kumar, etc. Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis to Determine Downforce of Motorcycle Winglet. INTI JOURNAL, 2020(28). ISSN e2600-7320, http://eprints.initinal.edu.my/id/eprint/1443.
8. Budiman, A. C., Hapid, A., Kaleg, S., Sudirja, S., & Winoto, S. H. A Brief Review on Ground Vehicles Aerodynamics due to the Presence of Streamwise Vortices. In 2019 International Conference on Sustainable Energy Engineering and Application (ICSEEA), 2019, pp. 1-5. IEEE.
9. Mifsud, Noah Carey. Going the Distance: Increasing Aerodynamic Efficiency in Electric Motorcycles through the Addition of a Rear Fairing. https://scholarsbank.uoregon.edu/xmlui/handle/1794/25783.
10. M.I., Tang, P.R., Rizal Effendy, M.N., Hazran, H., & Girma, T.C. A Study on Slot Design of Motorcycle Windshield to Improve Aerodynamics Features. INJI JOURNAL, 2019(16).
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.