Series Vol. 6 , 03 August 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Diabetic nephropathy (DN) is one of the most common, frequent, age-related diseases, and it is also an important cause of chronic renal failure and end-stage renal diseases. It has always been one of the research hotspots. The high cost of treatment will bring a great burden to society and families. Therefore, it is very important to study the pathogenesis and treatment methods of DN. At present, many methods have been put forward for clinical diagnosis and treatment like Thiazolidinediones, renin inhibitor drug -aliskiren, tregs cells. These methods have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, the etiology of diabetic nephropathy is complicated and the course of the disease is long, and current treatments cannot achieve the expected target. Scholars also have studied many symptomatic treatment methods for different pathogenesis. However, the specific pathogenesis of DN has not yet been fully elucidated, and there is no special medicine for DN yet. This article briefly reviews the pathogenesis and treatments of DN based on the existing kinds of literature and new advances to provide some references for its clinical diagnosis and treatment.
diabetic nephropathy, diabetes mellitus, pathogenesis, insulin resistance, metabolic disorders
1. Umanath K, Lewis JB. Update on diabetic nephropathy:core curriculum 2018[J]. AmJ Kidney Dis,2018,71(6):884-895.Zhaochen Ma, Yudong Liu, Congchong Li, Yanqiong Zhang, Na Lin, Repurposing a clinically approved prescription Colquhounia root tablet to treat diabetic kidney disease via suppressing PI3K/AKT/NF-kB activation, Chinese Medicine, 10.1186/s13020-021-00563-7, 17, 1, (2022).
2. Chao Chen, Dina Zhu, Shuai Zhang, Wensheng Zhang, Identification of circRNA/miRNA/mRNA regulatory network involving (+)-catechin ameliorates diabetic nephropathy mice, Food Science and Human Wellness, 10.1016/j.fshw.2021.12.023, 11, 3, (660-668), (2022).
3. Oyunchimeg Buyadaa, Agus Salim, Jedidiah I. Morton, Karin Jandeleit-Dahm, Dianna J. Magliano, Jonathan E. Shaw, Examining the factors contributing to the association between non-albuminuric CKD and a low rate of kidney function decline in diabetes, Therapeutic Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism, 10.1177/20420188221083518, 13, (204201882210835), (2022).
4. Sharma K, McCue P, Dunn SR: Diabetic kidney disease in the db/db mouse. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:F1138–F1144,2003
5. Lorenz JN: A practical guide to evaluating cardiovascular, renal, and pulmonary function in mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 282:R1565–R1582,2002
6. Tan HongBao, Zhao Qian,and Chen Li."Penehyclidine hydrochloride suppresses inflammation response and reduces podocyte injury in diabetic nephropathy by targeting fibrinogen-like protein 2." International Immunopharmacology 107.(2022). doi:10.1016/J.INTIMP.2022.108680.
7. Yang Tingting, et al."Corrigendum to ‘Targeting mammalian serine/threonine-protein kinase 4 through yes-associated protein/TEA domain transcription factor-mediated epithelial-mesenchymal transition ameliorates diabetic nephropathy orchestrated renal fibrosis [Metabolism Clinical and Experimental 108 (2020) 154258]." Metabolism 130.(2022). doi:10.1016/J.METABOL.2021.154963.
8. Han MS, Jung DY, MOREL C, et al.JNK expression by macrophages promotes obesity-induced insulin resistance and inflammation[J].Science, 2013, 339 (6116) :218-222.
9. Kambham N, Mark kowitz GS, ValeriA Metal. Obesity relate dglomerulopathy). : A nemergingepidemic. Kidney Int, 2001, 59:1489
10. Cistola David P.,and Dwivedi Alok K.."Compensatory Hyperinsulinemia is a Hidden Risk Factor for Type 2 Diabetes: CARDIA 30-year Follow Up." Metabolism 128.S(2022). doi:10.1016/J.METABOL.2021.155061.
11. Reaven GM.Thekidney: An unwilling accomph ice insyndromeX.AmJKidneyDis, 1997, 30:928
12. Yang H C, Ma L J, Ma J, et al.Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonist is protective in podocyte injury-associated sclerosis[J].Kidney Int, 2006, 69 (10) :1756-1764.
13. Lv LL, Liu BC.Role of non-classical reninangiotensin system axis in renal fibrosis[J].Frontiers in physiology,2015,6:117.
14. Rahimi Z. The Role of Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System Genes in Diabetic Nephropathy [J]. Canadian journal of diabetes, 2016, 40(2):178-183.
15. Chen Xiangmei, Li Yan, Li Wenge, Zhao Shuzhen, Ye Yizhou. "Discussion on the mechanism of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors reducing glomerulosclerosis." Chinese Journal of Nephrology. 03(1998).
16. Koszegi S, Molnar A, Lenart L,et al.RAAS inhibitors directly reduce diabetes induced renal fibrosis via growth factor inhibition[J].J Physiol, 2019,597(1):193-209.
17. Rakusan D, Kugal P, Kramer H J, et al. Persistent antihypertensive effect of aliskiren is accompanied by by reduced proteinuria and normalization of glomerular area in Ren-2 transgenic rats[J].Am J Physiol Renal Physiol,2010,299(4):758-766.)
18. Dong Y F, Liu L, Lai Z F, et al. Aliskiren enhances protective effects of valsartan against type 2 diabetic nephropathy in mice[J]. J Hypertens, 2010, 28(7): 1554-1565.
19. Parving H H, Brenner B M, Mcmurray J J, et al. Ailitude Investigators. Cardiorenal end points in a trial of aliskiren for type 2 diabetes[J].N Engl J Med, 2012, 367(23):2204-2213.
20. A/L B Vasanth Rao VR, Tan SH, Candasamy M, et al. Diabetic nephropathy: an update on pathogenesis and drug development[J]. Diabetes Metab Syndr, 2019, 13 ( 1 ) : 754 － 762.doi: 10.1016 / j.dsx．
21. Kumar P.A, Chitra P.S, Reddy G.B. Advanced glycation end products mediated cellular and molecular events in the pathology of diabetic nephropathy[J]. Biomolecular Concepts, 2016, 7(5): 293-300.
22. Peng X, Xiao Z, Zhang J, et al. IL-17A produced by both γδT and Th17 cells promotes renal fibrosis via RANTES-mediated leukocyte infiltration after renal obstruction[J]. J Pathol, 2015,235(1):79-89. doi:10. 1002/path. 4430.
23. Kim YG,Kim SM,Kim KP, etal. The role of inflammasome-dependent and inflammasome-independent NLRP3 in the kidney[J]. Cells,2019,8(11):1389. doi:10. 3390/cells8111389
24. Chikoti S, Mahwish UN, Raju SB,et al. Gender bias in the genetic vulnerability towards type 2 diabetes and diabetic nephropathy:role of forkhead box protein3 transcription factor gene variants[J]. Gene,2021,774:145426. doi:10. 1016/j. gene. 2021. 145426.
25. Wada J, Makino H.Inflammation and the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy[J]. Clin Sci (Lond) , 2013, 124 (3) :139-152.
26. Yang H.C, Ma L.J, Ma J, et al.Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonist is protective in podocyte injury-associated sclerosis[J].Kidney Int, 2006, 69 (10) :1756-1764.
27. Han M.S, Jung D.Y, Morel C, et al.JNK expression by macrophages promotes obesity-induced insulin resistance and inflammation[J].Science, 2013, 339 (6116) :218-222.
28. Zhang Y, Zhou B, Deng B, et al.Amyloid-beta induces hepatic insulin resistance in vivo via JAK2[J].Diabetes, 2013, 62 (4) :1159-1166.
29. Kitada M,Ogura Y,Monno I,et al.Regulating Autophagy as a Therapeutic Target for Diabetic Nephropathy[J].Current Diabetes Reports,2017,17(7):53.
30. Ren Hongru, et al."Prescription patterns of sodium and calcium polystyrene sulfonate in patients with hyperkalemia and chronic kidney disease receiving RAAS inhibitors.." Clinical kidney journal 15.9(2022). doi:10.1093/CKJ/SFAC077.
31. Wahab Nur Ainina Abd, et al."Abietic acid ameliorates nephropathy progression via mitigating renal oxidative stress, inflammation, fibrosis and apoptosis in high fat diet and low dose streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats." Phytomedicine 107.(2022). doi:10.1016/J.PHYMED.2022.154464.
32. Hu S Y, et al."Protective effect of berberine in diabetic nephropathy: A systematic review and meta-analysis revealing the mechanism of action." Pharmacological Research 185.(2022). doi:10.1016/J.PHRS.2022.106481.
33. Gaspar Joana M., Carvalho Humberto M.,and Camacho Morales Alberto."Editorial: Metabolic Disorders Associated With Autism Spectrum Disorders: Approaches for Intervention ." Frontiers in Neuroscience 15.(2021). doi:10.3389/FNINS.2021.809978.
34. Tang GY, et al."Clinical efficacies, underlying mechanisms and molecular targets of Chinese medicines for diabetic nephropathy treatment and management." Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B 11.9(2021). doi:10.1016/J.APSB.2020.12.020.
35. Liu XJ, et al."A Review of Traditional Chinese Medicine on Treatment of Diabetic Nephropathy and the Involved Mechanisms.." The American journal of Chinese medicine .(2022). doi:10.1142/S0192415X22500744.
36. SteppanCM, BaileyST, B hatSetal. The hormoneresistin link so besity to diabetes.Nature, 2001, 409:307
37. Wang Yun Qian, et al."Retracted: Resistin-Like Molecule Beta (RELM-β) Regulates Proliferation of Human Diabetic Nephropathy Mesangial Cells via Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases (MAPK) Signaling Pathway." Medical Science Monitor 28.(2022). doi:10.12659/MSM.936542.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.