Series Vol. 10 , 17 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
This work investigates particle transportation Taylor-Couette Flow (TCF) experiments. We designed and built up the experimental set-up and then did two groups of experiments (S1 and S2). Small radius ratio (η) experiments (S1) focuses on the settling time t_set of a particle, which increases when Reynolds number (R) increases. The settling time within Taylor-Couette flow is larger than that in the still water due to horizontal motion of particle. To further understand the underlying flow mechanism of this increased t_set, we designed the large η experiments (S2), which identify Taylor vortices (TVF) and spiral vortices (SPI) that trap the particle and thus increase t_set. In addition, linear stability analysis also predicts the wavelength of flow structures in the same order of experimental observation, although some deviation exists.
Taylor-Couette Flow, Particle Transportation, Linear Stability Analysis
1. Wang, Y. 2010 Dynamics of Tropical Cyclone. Nanjing.
2. Anenberg, S., Miller, J., Henze, D. & Minjares, R. 2019 A global snapshot of the air pollution-related health impacts of transportation sector emissions in 2010 and 2015. International Council on Clean Transportation: Washington, DC, USA.
3. Shao, M., Yang, J., Wang, J., Chen, P., Liu, B. & Dai, Q. 2022 Co-Occurrence of Surface O3, PM2. 5 Pollution, and Tropical Cyclones in China. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 127, e2021JD036310.
4. Shao, M., Zhang, Y., Zeng, L., Tang, X., Zhang, J., Zhong, L. & Wang, B. 2009 Ground-level ozone in the Pearl River Delta and the roles of VOC and NOx in its production. Journal of Environmental Management 90, 512–518.
5. Yoshida, Y., Duncan, B. N., Retscher, C., Pickering, K. E., Celarier, E. A., Joiner, J., Boersma, K. F. & Veefkind, J. P. 2010 The impact of the 2005 Gulf hurricanes on pollution emissions as inferred from Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) nitrogen dioxide. Atmospheric Environment 44, 1443–1448.
6. Huang, J.-P., Fung, J. C. & Lau, A. K. 2006 Integrated processes analysis and systematic meteorological classification of ozone episodes in Hong Kong. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 111.
7. Dai, J., Liu, Y., Wang, P., Fu, X., Xia, M. & Wang, T. 2020 The impact of sea-salt chloride on ozone through heterogeneous reaction with N2O5 in a coastal region of south China. Atmospheric Environment 236, 117604.
8. Zhang, Y., Hong, Z., Chen, J., Xu, L., Hong, Y., Li, M., Hao, H., Chen, Y., Qiu, Y., Wu, X. & others 2020 Impact of control measures and typhoon weather on characteristics and formation of PM2. 5 during the 2016 G20 summit in China. Atmospheric Environment 224, 117312
9. Grossmann, S., Lohse, D. & Sun, C. 2016 High–Reynolds number Taylor-Couette turbulence. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 48, 53–80.
10. Shea, D. J. & Gray, W. M. 1973 The hurricane’s inner core region. I. Symmetric and asymmetric structure. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 30, 1544–1564.
11. Lajoie, F. & Walsh, K. 2008 A technique to determine the radius of maximum wind of a tropical cyclone. Weather and Forecasting 23, 1007–1015.
12. Moisy, F., Doaré, O., Pasutto, T., Daube, O. & Rabaud, M. 2004 Experimental and numerical study of the shear layer instability between two counter-rotating disks. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 507, 175–202.
13. Henderson, K. L. & Gwynllyw, D. R. 2010 Limiting behaviour of particles in Taylor–Couette flow. Journal of Engineering Mathematics 67, 85–94.
14. Wereley, S. T. & Lueptow, R. M. 1999 Inertial particle motion in a Taylor Couette rotating filter. Physics of Fluids 11, 325–333.
15. Henderson, K. L., Gwynllyw, D. R. & Barenghi, C. F. 2007 Particle tracking in Taylor–Couette flow. European Journal of Mechanics-B/Fluids 26, 738–748.
16. Brandt, L. 2014 The lift-up effect: the linear mechanism behind transition and turbulence in shear flows. European Journal of Mechanics-B/Fluids 47, 80–96.
17. Jovanović, M. R. 2021 From bypass transition to flow control and data-driven turbulence modeling: an input–output viewpoint. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 53, 311–345.
18. Landahl, M. T. 1975 Wave breakdown and turbulence. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 28, 735–756.
19. Dominguez-Lerma, M., Ahlers, G. & Cannell, D. S. 1985 Effects of “Kalliroscope” flow visualization particles on rotating Couette-Taylor flow. The Physics of Fluids 28, 1204–1206.
20. Abcha, N., Latrache, N., Dumouchel, F. & Mutabazi, I. 2008 Qualitative relation between reflected light intensity by Kalliroscope flakes and velocity field in the Couette-Taylor flow system. Experiments in Fluids 45, 85–94.
21. Coles, D. 1965 Transition in circular Couette flow. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 21, 385–425.
22. Matisse, P. & Gorman, M. 1984 Neutrally buoyant anisotropic particles for flow visualization. The Physics of Fluids 27, 759–760.
23. Savaş, Ö. 1985 On flow visualization using reflective flakes. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 152, 235–248.
24. Watanabe, T., Toya, Y. & Hara, S. 2014 Development and flow modes of vertical Taylor-Couette system with free surface. World Journal of Mechanics 2014.
25. Adnane, E., Lalaoua, A. & Bouabdallah, A. 2016 Experimental Study of the Laminar-Turbulent Transition in a Tilted Taylor-Couette System Subject to Free Surface Effect. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 9, 1097–1104.
26. Yahi, F., Hamnoune, Y., Bouabdallah, A., Lecheheb, S. & Mokhtari, F. 2016 Experimental investigation of the free surface effect on the conical Taylor-Couette flow system. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 9, 2743–2751.
27. Andereck, C. D., Liu, S. S. & Swinney, H. L. 1986 Flow regimes in a circular Couette system with independently rotating cylinders. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 164, 155–183.
28. Altmeyer, S., Hoffmann, C., Heise, M., Abshagen, J., Pinter, A., Lücke, M. & Pfister, G. 2010 End wall effects on the transitions between Taylor vortices and spiral vortices. Physical Review E 81, 066313.
29. Czarny, O., Serre, E., Bontoux, P. & Lueptow, R. M. 2002 Spiral and wavy vortex flows in short counter-rotating Taylor–Couette cells. Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics 16, 5–15.
30. Ramesh, P. & Alam, M. 2020 Interpenetrating spiral vortices and other coexisting states in suspension Taylor-Couette flow. Physical Review Fluids 5, 042301.
31. Wimmer, M. 1995 An experimental investigation of Taylor vortex flow between conical cylinders. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 292, 205–227.
32. Gebhardt, T. & Grossmann, S. 1993 The Taylor-Couette eigenvalue problem with independently rotating cylinders. Zeitschrift für Physik B Condensed Matter 90, 475–490.
33. Weideman, J. A. & Reddy, S. C. 2000 A MATLAB differentiation matrix suite. ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software (TOMS) 26, 465–519.
34. Barthel, B., Zhu, X. & McKeon, B. 2021 Closing the loop: nonlinear Taylor vortex flow through the lens of resolvent analysis. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 924.
35. Gebhardt, T. & Grossmann, S. 1993 The Taylor-Couette eigenvalue problem with independently rotating cylinders. Zeitschrift für Physik B Condensed Matter 90, 475–490.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.