Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
Series Vol. 5
, 25 May 2023
Access | Article
The Relationship between Air Resistance and the Vibrating Period of Simple Pendulum
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Theoretical and Natural Science, Vol. 5,
Published 25 May 2023. © 2023 The Author(s). Published by EWA
This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
of the Creative Commons
Attribution (CC BY) license
, which permits
unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the
original work is properly cited.
Citation Jinxuan Gui. The Relationship between Air Resistance and the Vibrating Period of Simple Pendulum. TNS (2023) Vol. 5: 282-287. DOI: 10.54254/2753-8818/5/20230471.
The simple pendulum is a typical model of the compound pendulum. In this model, resistance and buoyancy are negligible. This paper researches how air resistance affects the vibration period in the simple pendulum model but with exact conditions. There are two simplified air resistance models that can apply in the models, one is the first power air resistance model, and the second is the second power air resistance model. But the first power air resistance model is quite complex, there is no equipment to measure its coefficient of it, so it only applies the second power air resistance. This paper studies the formula that revealed air resistance and related suitable cases. The results show that the time from the formula is longer than the experiment a little bit.
Compound pendulum, Air resistance, Vibration period, Resistance coefficient.
1. "Difference Between Simple Pendulum And Compound Pendulum - Geeksforgeeks". Geeksforgeeks, 2022, https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-simple-pendulum-and-compound-pendulum/. Accessed 9 Nov 2022.
2. Dynamics, Translational, and Resistive Force. "Resistive Force: Definition, Formula & Examples | Studysmarter". Studysmarter UK, 2022, https://www.studysmarter.co.uk/explanations/physics/translational-dynamics/resistive-force/. Accessed 9 Nov 2022.
3. Tianyang, Zhang. Et al. “Effect of air resistance on the vibration period of compound pendulum.” Physical Experiment, 11(2008):42-45.
4. "Drag Force Formula - Geeksforgeeks". Geeksforgeeks, 2022, https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/drag-force-formula/. Accessed 9 Nov 2022.
5. "Drag Coefficient". Engineeringtoolbox.Com, 2022, https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/drag-coefficient-d_627.html. Accessed 9 Nov 2022.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available
from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
Authors who publish this series agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the series right of first publication
with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution
License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the
work's authorship and initial publication in this series.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual
for the non-exclusive distribution of the series's published version of the
(e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with
acknowledgment of its initial publication in this series.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in
institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the
process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and
citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).
- Volume Title
- Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
- ISBN (Print)
- ISBN (Online)
- Published Date
- 25 May 2023
- Theoretical and Natural Science
- ISSN (Print)
- ISSN (Online)
- © 2023 The Author(s)
- Open Access
- This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license, which
permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium,
provided the original work is properly cited