Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
Series Vol. 5
, 25 May 2023
Access | Article
Computing the Properties and Displacement Response of Multi-degree of Freedom Structures under Different Circumstances
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Theoretical and Natural Science, Vol. 5,
Published 25 May 2023. © 2023 The Author(s). Published by EWA
This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
of the Creative Commons
Attribution (CC BY) license
, which permits
unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the
original work is properly cited.
Citation Zongyang Zhao, Qirui Pan, Yi Huang. Computing the Properties and Displacement Response of Multi-degree of Freedom Structures under Different Circumstances. TNS (2023) Vol. 5: 240-252. DOI: 10.54254/2753-8818/5/20230429.
To mitigate or avoid losses caused by earthquakes, it is necessary to understand them deeply. In our project, two idealized second-story structures with different properties with multi-degree of freedom-free vibration will be analyzed. The displacement response of the first structure is analyzed under the conditions with and without an available load by the modal superposition method. As a result, the properties, including the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and the second-floor story shears, have also been obtained. Moreover, the same properties of the second structure are obtained, too, except for the story shear. Moreover, the displacement response of each phase of the impulsive loading of the second structure is also computed by using Duhamel Integral.
Natural frequencies, Mode shapes, Modal superposition method, multi-degree of freedom vibration, the Displacement response.
1. Wang, DL. (2011). Seismic Structure Design. Wuhan University of Technology Press, Wuhan.
2. the 7th Working-level meeting of SAIs of China, Japan and Korea. (2012). Paper on Public Works Audit-A Case Study on the real time Audit of Post-Wenchuan Earthquake. https://www.audit.gov.cn/en/n746/n753/c66611/content.html.
3. Wang, Z., Ma, B. (2019). Study on Zhongtiaoshan North Foot Fault Activity and Selection of Railway Site. In IACGE 2018: Geotechnical and Seismic Research and Practices for Sustainability (pp. 375-392). Reston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers.
4. Wang, L. W., Li, K., Sanusei, S., Ghorbani, R., Matta, F., Sutton, M. A., ... & Lamberti, L. (2014). Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series.
5. Chung, J., Cho, E. H., & Choi, K. (2003). A priori error estimator of the generalized‐α method for structural dynamics. International journal for numerical methods in engineering, 57(4), 537-554.
6. Charney, F. A. (2008). Unintended consequences of modeling damping in structures. Journal of structural engineering, 134(4), 581-592.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available
from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
Authors who publish this series agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the series right of first publication
with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution
License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the
work's authorship and initial publication in this series.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual
for the non-exclusive distribution of the series's published version of the
(e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with
acknowledgment of its initial publication in this series.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in
institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the
process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and
citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).
- Volume Title
- Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
- ISBN (Print)
- ISBN (Online)
- Published Date
- 25 May 2023
- Theoretical and Natural Science
- ISSN (Print)
- ISSN (Online)
- © 2023 The Author(s)
- Open Access
- This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license, which
permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium,
provided the original work is properly cited