Series Vol. 5 , 25 May 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
With the increase in the demand of space exploration in recent years and the increase in the amount of communication data between the earth and spacecrafts, the development of deep space communication is undoubtedly a great support for space exploration. Deep Space Network (DSN) is an important organization that helps people to get in touch with spacecrafts. This paper introduces the communication technology and achievements of the DSN and the problems that are still facing by it, and look forward to the future development trend of deep space communication and exploration technologies, so as to promote the development of Deep Space Network.
DSN, deep space communication, antenna array, parabolic antenna
1. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Deep Space Network, https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/dsn.
2. Ian J. O’Neill, NASA’s Deep Space Network Looks to the Future, Sept. 1, 2021, https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-deep-space-network-looks-to-the-future.
3. Yang X. W., The world's largest array of radio telescopes will reveal many cosmic mysteries [J] Journal of Space Exploration, No.2, 2012, pp.48-49.
4. Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Mars Antenna Ready for Surgery, July 15, 2010, https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/pia13270-mars-antenna-ready-for-surgery.
5. Jia-Rui Cook, Historic Deep Space Network Antenna Starts Major Surgery, March, 8, 2010. https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/historic-deep-space-network-antenna-starts-major-surgery.
6. Liu T. & Chen Z. P. & Zhang J.Y. & Wang S. G., Study on Large Radio Telescope Array [J] Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Vol.29, No.6, 2013, pp.1-5, 13.
7. Li P. & Chen Z. P. & Zhang J. S., The Current Status and The Future ofNASA Deep Space Network [J] FEIXINGQI CEKONG XUEBAO, Vol.22, No.4, 2003, pp.10-17, 48.
8. Gou L. & Zhang G. X. & Sun & Bian D. M. & Hu J., The Research and Prospect of the Deep Space Network [J] Journal of Digital Communication World, No.1, 2017, pp.54-59.
9. Joseph Yuen and Jim Taylor, DESCANSO Performance Metrics, August 2015, https://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/performmetrics/profileDSCC.html.
10. Luo J. J. & Li H. Z. & Tang Y. F. & Hao Z. Q. & Ding C. H., Research on Laser Communication Technology Development for Deep Space Exploration [J] Spacecraft Engineeringnology, Vol.22, No.2, 2013, pp.94-97.
11. Sarah Frazier, Getting NASA Data to the Ground With Lasers, Oct. 27, 2021, https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/getting-nasa-data-to-the-ground-with-lasers.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.