Series Vol. 5 , 25 May 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
On April 27, 1900, the famous British physicist William Thomson (Baron Kelvin) delivered a speech entitled "The Dark Clouds of the Nineteenth Century on the Theory of Heat and Photodynamics" at the Royal Society. In his speech, he pointed out that, in the "edifice of physics" based on force and heat, there were two hypotheses that could not be solved at that time. One was the ether medium and the other was the black body radiation. Later, the flaws of physics were proved and the quantum mechanics and relativity were thus created. This paper introduces the origin of the concept of aether and the inference of its reality through subsequent scientific experiments. It also illustrates the emergence of a series of hypotheses such as blackbody radiation, which laid the foundation for the beginning of quantum physics.
Aether, Michelson experiment, Aether wind, Newton's laws, classical mechanics, quantum mechanics
1. Brevik I 2021 Quantum electrodynamics and the ether [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXiv210804671.html.
2. Sato M 2004 Proposal of Michelson-Morley experiment via single photon interferometer: Interpretation of Michelson-Morley experimental results using de Broglie-Bohm picture [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXivphysics0411217.html.
3. Feist N 2001 A speech for the luminiferous ether [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXivphysics0104047.html.
4. Lämmerzahl C 2001 On the interpretation of Michelson-Morley experiments [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXivgr-qc0103052.html.
5. Romay E O 2003 Causality, light speed constancy and local action principle [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXivphysics0301005.html.
6. Chu H Q, Jiang H T, Wang X M, Zhou Y, Xiang L K 2019 Analysis on the relationship between the five laws of blackbody radiation in the course of heat transfer [J]. Research on innovative education 7 (2) pp 138-144. https://doi.org/10.12677/CES.2019.72025.
7. Koh S I 2002 An interpretation of the black-body radiation [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXivquant-ph0208011.html.
8. Schmid C 2012 Newton's superb theorem: An elementary geometric proof[DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXiv12016534.html.
9. Marrocco M 2015 Can classical physics agree with quantum physics on quantum phenomena? [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXiv150403207.html.
10. Belenchia A 2021 Quantum Physics in Space [DB/OL]. https://doc.taixueshu.com/foreign/arXiv210801435.html.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.