Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
Series Vol. 5
, 25 May 2023
Access | Article
Research on the influence factors of ship resistance and navigation drag reduction
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Theoretical and Natural Science, Vol. 5,
Published 25 May 2023. © 2023 The Author(s). Published by EWA
This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
of the Creative Commons
Attribution (CC BY) license
, which permits
unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the
original work is properly cited.
Citation Jinzi Yao. Research on the influence factors of ship resistance and navigation drag reduction. TNS (2023) Vol. 5: 22-27. DOI: 10.54254/2753-8818/5/20230259.
With economic growth, ship transportation plays a major role in global logistics. The optimization of the ship form based on minimum resistance has been the research focus of ship builders for hundreds of years, but the actual process is quite complex, which also brings huge benefits. Ship drag reduction is not only conducive to industrial economic growth, but also helpful to improve the global energy consumption and environmental problems. In this paper, the Reynolds number and the Froude number are obtained by a dimensional analysis, and then the data are obtained from the model ship experiment with the same Froude number by the law of similarity. The total resistance is subdivided into four kinds with different causes, namely the friction resistance, wave-making resistance, form resistance, and additional resistance. In this way, the ship resistance can be reduced more scientifically and efficiently.
drag reduction, dimensional analysis, Froude number, Reynold number, air curtain.
1. Zhi Q S 2021 The impact of maritime energy transportation on the global shipping market. China Storage & Transport. 10 196-197
2. Hansen E K, Rasmussen H B 2020 Making shipping more carbon-friendly? Exploring ship energy efficiency management plans in legislation and practice. Energy Research & Social Science. C 65
3. Zheng W M 1965 Dimensional analysis and dimensional system. Physics. 50(12) 797-811
4. Jiang C P Ship resistance. Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
5. Qi C J 2000 Test and application of ship thin film drag reduction technology. China Shipbuilding. 41(3) 9-13
6. Zhang Y 2020 Research on parameterized expression and optimal design method of bulbous bow. Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
7. Hu D 2018 Discussion on drag reduction methods of modern ships. Western China Communications Science & Technology. 05
8. He N V, Mizutani K 2016 Reducing air resistance acting on a ship by using interaction effects between the hull and accommodation. Ocean Engineering. 111
9. Cheng G C, Hu W D 2022 Effect of the ship frictional resistance and performance due to the calcareous biofouling. Ship Science & Technoloy. 44(03) 48-52+62
10. Yi S W 2014 Overview of the latest marine energy-saving equipment. China Ship Survey. 10 75-77
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available
from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
Authors who publish this series agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the series right of first publication
with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution
License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the
work's authorship and initial publication in this series.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual
for the non-exclusive distribution of the series's published version of the
(e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with
acknowledgment of its initial publication in this series.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in
institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the
process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and
citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).
- Volume Title
- Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
- ISBN (Print)
- ISBN (Online)
- Published Date
- 25 May 2023
- Theoretical and Natural Science
- ISSN (Print)
- ISSN (Online)
- © 2023 The Author(s)
- Open Access
- This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license, which
permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium,
provided the original work is properly cited