Series Vol. 5 , 25 May 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
In 2020, Airbus tested an plane called "albatross", which is a small version of Airbus A321. It is made of carbon composite and glass fiber reinforced resin and has been continuously developed in Felton, South Gloucestershire, England for more than 20 months. This paper describes various plane designs using variable technology, and introduces the albatross as an example. And the nonlinear dynamic characteristics and aerodynamic interference caused by the deformed parts will be discussed. Finally, the general and special challenges of these problems to civil plane operation are summarized. The research results of this paper can provide theoretical reference for the design of deformable civil plane in the future.
plane design, Dynamic modeling, Fault tolerance, Intelligent material, Morphing plane.
1. D. D. Smith, R. M. Ajaj, A. T. Isikveren, et al. Multi-objective optimization for the multiphase design of active polymorphing wings J Aircr, 49 (4) (2012), pp. 1153-1160.
2. E. Livne, T.A. Weisshaar Aeroelasticity of nonconventional airplane configurations-past and future J Aircr, 40 (6) (2003), pp. 1047-1065.
3. Research progress of EU morphing wing [Internet] High end equipment development research center; [updated 2018 May 15; cited 2020 Aug 06] Available from: https://www.sohu.com/a/231667758_465915.
4. AlbatrossOne:concept Airbus di ala innovativa ispirata agli albatross (aerospacecue.it) from: https://aerospacecue.it/albatrossone-concept-airbus-ala-innovativa-ispirata-albatross/22333/
5. Clean Sky's Morphing Wing project brings shape-shifting capabilities to European regional plane|CleanAviation(clean-aviation.eu) from: https://www.clean-aviation.eu/clean-skys-morphing-wing-project-brings-shape-shifting-capabilities-to-european-regional-plane.
6. Chen Y. J. Study on flexible skin and supporting substructure of morphing plane [D] Harbin: Harbin Institute of Technology; 2014 [Chinese].
7. A.M. Zhao, H. Zou, H.C. Jin, et al. Structural design and verification of an innovative whole adaptive variable camber wing, Aerosp Sci Technol, 89 (2019), pp. 11-18.
8. H. You, S. Kim, G. J. Yun. Design criteria for variable camber compliant wing plane morphing wing skin, AIAA J, 58 (2) (2019), pp. 867-878.
9. Zhang H., Sun R. S., Zhao R. Multidisciplinary optimization for active aero-elastic morphing wings. In 2018 37th Chinese Control Conference (CCC). 2018 July, pp.25-27; Wuhan, China. Piscataway: IEEE Press; 2018.
10. K. Lewis. Multidisciplinary design optimization, Aerospace America, 40 (12) (2006), pp. 5-7.
11. J.R.R.A. Martins, A.B. Lambe, Multidisciplinary design optimization: a survey of architectures, AIAA J, 51 (9) (2013), pp. 2049-2075.
12. Lingling Chu, Qi Li, Feng Gu, Xintian Du, Yuqing He, Yangchen Deng: Design, modeling, and control of morphing aircraft: A review In Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, Volume 35, Issue 5, May 2022, pp. 220-246.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.