Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
Series Vol. 5
, 25 May 2023
Access | Article
Reducibility of quartic polynomials and its relation to Galois groups
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Theoretical and Natural Science, Vol. 5,
Published 25 May 2023. © 2023 The Author(s). Published by EWA
This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
of the Creative Commons
Attribution (CC BY) license
, which permits
unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the
original work is properly cited.
Citation Jinhe Huang, Yicheng Ai, Yuhao Wen. Reducibility of quartic polynomials and its relation to Galois groups. TNS (2023) Vol. 5: 439-447. DOI: 10.54254/2753-8818/5/20230277.
This paper deals with special classes of quartic polynomials and properties pertaining to their Galois groups and reducibility over certain fields. The existence of quartic polynomials irreducible over Q but reducible over every prime field is first proven, after which criteria are established for the Galois group of polynomials with this property. By constructing classes of V4-generic polynomials and comparing them with criteria put forth in previous studies for determining polynomials with this property, it can be shown that a polynomial of the biquadratic form x4 + ax2 + b has this property if and only if it can be written as x^4 - 2(u + v)x^2 + 〖(u -v)〗^2 with u, v ∈Q such that none of u, v, or uv can be expressed as ratio of two squares, and 2(u+v),(u−v)2 ∈ Z . The general form for biquadratic polynomials irreducible over Q and reducible modulo every integer n is found to have a general form similar to this one.
quartic polynomials, Galois groups, math
1. Conrad K. Recognizing Galois groups Sn and An[J]. Lecture Notes, University of Connecticut, 2017.
2. Garver R. Quartic equations with certain groups[J]. Annals of Mathematics, 1928: 47-51.
3. Kappe L C, Warren B. An elementary test for the Galois group of a quartic polynomial[J]. The American Mathematical Monthly, 1989, 96(2): 133-137.
4. Conrad K. Galois groups of cubics and quartics (not in characteristic 2)[J]. Expository papers, 2010, 10.
5. Rotman J. Galois theory[M]. Springer Science & Business Media, 1998.
6. Driver E, Leonard P A, Williams K S. Irreducible quartic polynomials with factorizations modulo p[J].
7. The American Mathematical Monthly, 2005, 112(10): 876-890.
8. Dummit D S, Foote R M. Abstract algebra[M]. Hoboken: Wiley, 2004.
9. Milne, J. S. Fields and Galois Theory, 2020.
10. Almuteri A N. Quadratic Reciprocity: Proofs and Applications[J]. 2019.
11. Carlitz L. Note on a quartic congruence[J]. The American Mathematical Monthly, 1956, 63(8): 569-571.
12. Miller K. The Chinese Remainder Theorem[J]. 2017.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available
from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
Authors who publish this series agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the series right of first publication
with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution
License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the
work's authorship and initial publication in this series.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual
for the non-exclusive distribution of the series's published version of the
(e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with
acknowledgment of its initial publication in this series.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in
institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the
process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and
citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).
- Volume Title
- Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computing Innovation and Applied Physics (CONF-CIAP 2023)
- ISBN (Print)
- ISBN (Online)
- Published Date
- 25 May 2023
- Theoretical and Natural Science
- ISSN (Print)
- ISSN (Online)
- © 2023 The Author(s)
- Open Access
- This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and
conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license, which
permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium,
provided the original work is properly cited